Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

For the past 3 weeks I have had tightness in my belly. I also

For the past 3 weeks I have had tightness in my belly. I also have the constant feeling that my intestines want to growl, but can never push itself over the edge to actually rumble or growl. The only time the feeling goes away is when I eat, but reoccurs after about 20 minutes.

Helpppp!
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

This sounds like a symptom of acid reflux. Its a common medical problem.

Common triggers such as fatty or fried foods, tomato sauce, alcohol, chocolate, mint, garlic, onion, and caffeine may make it worse. Lactose which is in dairy can also worsen the symptoms.

Treatment with over the counter meds includes:

1. Antacids such as Maalox or Mylanta 4 times a day, 30 min before eating and at bedtime.

2. Over the counter Zantac Pepcid or Tagamet

If your symptoms persist after 2 weeks of treatment you should see your Dr. I hope this helps.