Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

im a 68yr old women who has atrophy. Its been 25yrs

im a 68yr old women who has vaginal atrophy. Its been 25yrs since having a total hysterectomy. Recently I have been put on estrogen vaginal cream by my doctor, but I'm experiencing bleeding during intercourse, can you advise please?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

You will probably need a higher dose or a longer period of time with the vaginal estrogen

It will take time to get used to intercourse again and the estrogen takes time to work

follow up with the doctor to make sure nothing else is wrong and if not, use the estrogen daily and give it more time to work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive been advised by my own GP to use the estrogen twice a wk for 3mths. She has said that there isn't anything worrying because I had a total hysterectomy 25yrs ago. Due to this procedure I haven't been intimate with my husband for many yrs now, basically due to this problem when the op was first performed. But we decided to try again. What other problem could there be?

There is no problem but the estrogen frequency is not enough

2 times a week won't help

It needs to be daily for 2-3 weeks then 3 x per week

ask her about that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you. I will speak with her asap

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)