Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a lingering dry cough, triggered from a very bad attack

I have a lingering dry cough, triggered from a very bad attack of hay fever. I'm fine most of the time, then suddenly I have a dry fit of coughing. usually at night.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long ago was the hay fever attack and have you had a problem like this before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The hay fever attack was around the end of March. Then, it triggered off the bronchitis. I had the same attack last year, due to the pollen count being extremely high in London.

I have suffered from ashma and bronchitis before.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Lian. Was the bronchitis treated with antibiotics and is this a perfectly dry cough?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, It went away eventually, I try to avoid antibiotics, As you can see I do a garlic treatment. My cough is dry and I wheeze. Garlic does not seem to help. As I said, it's fits and starts, and the rest of the time I'm fine.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Lian. You could try a honey, clove,and lemon juice combination along with licorice. You could also, if you aren't against it, try benadryl, Claritin, or Zyrtec. It's also possible that this isn't an allergy problem but a gastric reflux at night problem without any indigestion, so you could also try a week of daily Prilosec or Zantac. All that said, any chronic cough really should be evaluated by a doctor with an exam and a chest x-ray