Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi there.. I had c-section on 02/07/2010 and after this operation,

Customer Question

Hi there..
I had c-section on 02/07/2010 and after this operation, i also had problem (epidural fault, i think they called) where right after the anesthetic gone, i couldnt move my neck. It's only on day 3 after giving birth that the doctor started to diagnose what was wrong with me at the time. I remember vaguely the doctor explaining to me that the epidural procedure has created a gap somewhere and it has caused my neck feel like its been locked. I also remember in order to diagnose this, the doctor has pushed my stomach to the floor to check if i can move my neck when they doing that. So they have done blood patch (i think) to sort out the problem. The problem i have now is, after almost four years had the c-section, i still having a massive throbbing pain inside the incision every time i carry heavy stuff or put a pressure on the stomach muscles (even just carrying my 4 years old girl if she felt asleep in the car or lifting up the files to the top cabinet). This pain sometime go away within 1 minute but occasionally last until 10-15 minutes. I wonder if this will ever get healed at all? Do I still stand a chance to have more children? I wonder if the wound will get worse if im pregnant again since that area will stretch?

Sheeda
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you have having pain in the c section incision.

Dr. David :

C sections can cause scar tissue to heal and this scar tissue can cause aches and pains for a long time

Dr. David :

you should get an examination of your abdomen by your doctor to make sure you don't have a hernia in your c section incision.

Dr. David :

any sort of abdominal surgery can weaken the abdominal wall and put you more at risk for hernias.

Dr. David :

yes, you should be able to have more children.

Dr. David :

have you been having regular gyn examinations after you had your child?

Customer:

not really.. last time when i asked my mid wife (abt 6 months after giving birth) she said it might take awhile for the wound to heal..

Dr. David :

you should go back to your gyn doctor

Dr. David :

and get routine examinations

Dr. David :

if you are interested in having more children.

Dr. David :

and have your doctor check you for hernia.

Customer:

if i didnt have hernia, what else can cause the pain?

Dr. David :

scar tissue from the C section simply can cause pain.

Dr. David :

small nerves are cut in the skin and muscle of the abdomen when a C section is performed.

Dr. David :

and these cut nerves can cause pain for many many years.

Customer:

will it get worse if i get pregnant again?

Customer:

i mean will the pain get worse?

Dr. David :

hard to know. most likely not.

Dr. David :

when you get pregnant, your body creates many hormones

Dr. David :

and elevates your hormone levels which prepares your body for pregnancy.

Dr. David :

and higher levels of these hormones allows your skin and muscles to be more flexible.

Customer:

Im just really worried. I had a very bad pregnancy and labour before.. The pain i feel inside the incision reminds me the pain i was having right after the operation. And its quite traumatic. sometime i passed out and get a panic attack everytime this pain comes.. I have raised this concern to my gp, but he just said nothing to worry about and asked me to take pain killer.

Customer:

my gp never mention about referring me to the gyn

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

well, it would be good to see a gyn doctor

Customer:

how do i do that?

Dr. David :

if your anxiety is bad and you are having panic attacks, you might need medications to help decrease anxiety.

Dr. David :

ask your doctor for a referal for a gyn for routine gyn exams and pap smears.

Dr. David :

does your gp do this for you yearly?

Customer:

i did pap smears in 2011, but it wasnt a gyn that did that.. it was just a staff nurse i think

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

if you are sexually active, you need a more up to date gyn exam and pelvic exam.

Dr. David :

a pelvic ultrasound can check the abdomen

Dr. David :

check for hernias and check for healing problems from your prior c sections.

Customer:

so i need to make an appointment with my gp and ask him to to refer me to gyn to check hernia etc?

Dr. David :

yes.

Dr. David :

I would start there.

Dr. David :

and get a new pap smear.

Dr. David :

and pelvic exam.

Dr. David :

and pelvic ultrasound possibly

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

if they do the pelvic exam, can they also check what causing the pain in the incision?

Dr. David :

yes,

Dr. David :

if you let your gyn doctor know you are having pain there.

Customer:

alright then..

Dr. David :

the lower abdominal exam is part of a complete pelvic exam

Dr. David :

good luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer:

alright

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below

Customer:

thanks for your help

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Customer:

ok

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

yes

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician