DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Ankle Swelling Right ankle started to swell not uncomfortable

Ankle Swelling Right ankle started to swell not uncomfortable not sever swelling right leg ok in Am when I get up My left ankle seems ok there is an itch that has been scratched by me have used anti itch cream but can scratch for supposed relief and can be agrivated if heat from fire is near, use an open fire. Am male 71 (31.12.42) fairly healthy take lisnoprill x1 and nexium x2 per day Slightly over weight 13/to 14 stone a slower stiffer and semi semi retired livestock farmer who let's his son do all the hard and nasty work now. Do about 6/7 min on a rolling road in the morning at about 3.5 mph. Am a widower have cut out sugar in tea, coffee, I eat mostly seeded brown bread as it freezes well. non deep fries, not a big eater white meat fish type foods mostly. Have some red meat, spreadable butter, thin, and a slice of brown bread and mostly marmalade at breakfast. have at least 4 breakfast cups of tea or coffee in Am then mug of tea at 9.30 or 10. A mug at mid day then a further mug of tea at tea and a tumbler of cold water at night or hot milk with ? May be some sugar not a lot. Enjoy a vermouth and lemonade some evenings when making tea some evenings a small whisky with water in evening, last bottle of whisky lasted 4 months!
Most nights sleep ok all night often from 10 till 6.00 6/30 try to be up before 7 am. XXXXXXXXXXX [email protected] Steve Bastow
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I have read your post carefully.
What is your exact question about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ankle swelling
What is your opinion of a cause as to the swelling and how serious would you rate the problem, I only tried to give you a outline of my recent health. I have never had swelling before and wondered what it was, what the likely causes, and likely cure might be, apart from sitting with my foot in the air for lengthy periods
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
If it is one sided a clot must be ruled out.
This requires an ultrasound.
Clots can expand and go to the lung.

Cellulitis [skin infection] can do this, but is also serious.

Bad veins in the leg is another possibility.

There is no way to make an accurate diagnosis without exam and testing.
And I would not wait on this, even if you go to urgent care.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Swollen Ankle
Thank you very much for your help, and politely telling me to seek my doctors opinion. Will try to do this soon I have a few miles to go to the surgery
Steve
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome anytime.
any questions.
I am here daily.