Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Ive always had a poor sense of smell and it does sometimes

Customer Question

I've always had a poor sense of smell and it does sometimes bother me - being poor at distiguishing between perfumes / unable to smell gas until someone else notices / not able to smell when milk has gone sour / feeling selfconcious about possible body odour (I don't think I even know what it smells like!). At times I notice I can taste strong smells before I can smell them so I'm not sure that I have a problem with taste. Another thing is that if there is a strong smell although I am the last to smell it once I do smell it I seam to smell it as strongly as other people (a bad smell seems to bother me the same but I take much longer to smell it) and also I sometimes think I go on smelling the smell for longer as if the sent is somehow stuck in my nose. I sometimes wonder if there's something to do with the shape of my nose (its not really the classic shape exactly!) Or if there is some cause. I don't like to bother the doctor about it so have never asked before although I've always had this problem with smell and I think I should really try and see if there's anything I can do about it. - thanks for any help - Kate
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

you can see an ENT doctor and have your sinuses evaluated.

Dr. David :

you might have to pay for a private ENT evaluation.

Dr. David :

or wait for a NHS ENT doctor appointment.

Dr. David :

you might need to use sinus irritation to help clear your sinuses.

Dr. David :

you might need antibiotics or allergy medications to help clear your sinuses to help your sense of smell become better.

Customer:

As I've always had this problem with sense of smell since being a child is it still possible it could be a sinus problem? I don't think there's much variation in my sense of smell which I would expect with sinus problems. There are problems with allergys in my family but I always thought I was free of those. I do feel like there is a problem with air getting to the back of the nose where you can smell it.

Dr. David :

it could be from a sinus problem

Dr. David :

or a deviated septum you have had for a long time.

Dr. David :

or it could just be that you have a poor sense of smell and that this is normal for you.

Customer:

If it is just a poor sense of smell that is normal for me would my sense of taste also be affected? And is there any way I could test that myself? I also have always had under active tear ducts ever since I was a baby and was wondering if there could be a connection between the two?

Dr. David :

most likely no connection

Dr. David :

no way to test this yourself.

Dr. David :

best to consult an ENT doctor

Dr. David :

they have smelling tests they can do for you at an ENT doctor's office.

Dr. David :

if you have dry eyes or dry mouth, they can also test you for sjorgren's syndrome as well.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

Thanks for your reply- would I first book an appointment with my GP and might they be able to give me any answers themselves from basic checks - does it generally take a long time to get a ENT appointment?

Dr. David :

yes, it can take a while to get an ENT appointment to a specialist in the NHS.

Dr. David :

yes, see your GP first

Dr. David :

see what they have to say.

Customer:

Ok will book appointment and see what they say - many thanks

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician