Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I need to find out what the best contraceptive pill would be

I need to find out what the best contraceptive pill would be for me Im 33 and over weight 16 stone I have four children and would not like to take the chance of having any more
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Are you willing to consider options other than birth control pills?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no would prefer to take the pill

What are you currently using for contraception?
Do you have any chronic medical conditions?
Do you smoke?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I smoke I have no other medical conditions I'm refraining from intercourse

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I smoke at least 10 cigarettes a day and I am trying to give up

Thank you for the additional information.

The direct answer to your question would be that a combination birth control pill with a low dose of dose of oestrogen would be the pill that would be most effective and would be the least likely to cause weight gain.

From the perspective of effectiveness, all of the combination birth control pills are about equivalent. The variety of birth control pills are primarily to help control side effects, as some women are more sensitive to the different components of the birth control pills. There are several of the low dose combination birth control pills on the market, such as Loestrin or Ortho TriCyclen Lo.

The other issue, though, is that the birth control pills carry some risk of causing blood clots, and while this is true to some extent for any woman, this risk becomes more significant as you age past 35-40, particularly in smokers (although it is good that you are trying to quit). For this reason, when we are discussing contraceptive options with women that are certain that they do not want any more children, the discussion should not just be about what to do for contraception for the current year, but for every year until menopause. The most effective form of contraception that also will provide contraception until menopause would be sterilization. Sterilization can be done for either gender in a relationship, although the procedure is technically easier to perform on the male.

Therefore, the direct answer to your question would be a low dose combination birth control pill, such as Loestrin or Ortho TriCyclen Lo. However, at some point, there should be some consideration and discussion about the plan for long-term contraception.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.