Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

After waking over eight miles I develop a severe rash on the

After waking over eight miles I develop a severe rash on the calves of both legs which is very unsightly and lasts for five or six days.How can I avoid this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and can you describe the rash? Is it itchy or painful?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has been going on for some tears.It is both itchy and painful to the touch.i am currently traing for a 22mile charity hike and would love to wear shorts!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Rosemary. This is called an exercise-induced heat rash where your body releases histamine during the exertion. There are two things you can try. First, Claritin or Zyrtec--antihistamines--taken at least an hour before the exercise and again afterwards can help. Also, applying a strong antideodorant gel or powder to your legs to stave off triggering sweating will help. If that doesn't work you may need a prescription antihistamine like Allegra
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou.Will try what you suggest.I have terminal liver cancer and take some medications .Will what you have suggested clash with any of them?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--no clashing here with that so give it a try and let me know how it goes Rosemary. And please remember to rate my service to you