Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi There, I had a fall on the stairs about 4 weeks ago, after

Hi There,
I had a fall on the stairs about 4 weeks ago, after a week I went to the doctors as I had severe back pain in the lower left hand side of my back, the pain is worse when lying down, so not getting much sleep, Doc says it could be a bruised kidney, and if so could take a while to clear up, he said I had a trace of blood in my urine, but only a trace, he phoned the hospital, they said to take blood tests, and in a few days take another urine test, I went back last week for the results, bloods were ok, and urine was normal, the hospital said they did not think a scan was needed, and I was given painkillers co-codomol 15/500mg, the pain has eased a lot, most of the day I hardly feel it mobility is not affected,and I am in General good health, but it is still painful enough when I lie dow to keep me awake most of the night, what I want to know is, if I take alchohal talking about a few glasses of wine the pain that night seems to be worse, in your opinion is this just my imagination, and will the pain go away in its own time
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

you shouldn't be drinking when you are taking co-codomol

Dr. David :

which contains codeine narcotic in it.

Dr. David :

if drinking is making the pain worse, you need to stop drinking for now until the pain gets better.

Dr. David :

I'm glad your blood testing and urine testing all came back normal.

Dr. David :

you could have had a bruised kidney.

Dr. David :

if you are still having pain, I would get an ultrasound of the kidney on that side just to be sure.

Dr. David :

to look for hematomas and trauma to the kidney.

Dr. David :

it would be good to know

Dr. David :

you can also be using bags of ice to ice your back on that side to help decrease inflammation and pain and swelling.

Customer:

Thank you for your answer, I understand, I don't have inflammation or swelling , I do realize I should not be drinking alcohol while on co codomol, but most people do take a few drinks, getting an ultra scan is fine, but I live in the UK, unless you are willing to go private which is not an option to me, I have to do what the doctors say, they feel I don't need a scan, the pain will be there for a few weeks, whether or not taking alcohol is bad for you on medication, all I was asking was in your opinion, is there any way a few glasses of wine would make the pain worse, a known medical reason

Dr. David :

drinking alcohol taxes the kidneys and puts more strain on the kidneys.

Dr. David :

if one of your kidneys is already injured, it can make it even harder for that kidney.

Dr. David :

make sure you drink enough regular water and fluids

Dr. David :

so you don't get dehydrated.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician