Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

From 1963 to 1984 I was a Small Arms instructor, covering

Customer Question

From 1963 to 1984' I was a Small Arms instructor, covering range work, 36mil grenade, 3.5 rocket launcher & general explosive demonstrations. Most work was carried out in the open.
In November 2012' I began to get breathless at the least little bit of exertion. I didn't think much to it at first but during the next 16months, it gradually became worse. November 2013 I had to go to my GP, who got me admitted to hospital immediately as my oxygen level had dropped to 82 from 94. I was stabilised & discharged. My breathing condition had not improved & on the 27th December 2013 I was again rushed back in hospital, again with problems with my oxygen level but also suffering from double pneumonia. I had x-rays & a CT scan which showed very bad scaring to my left lung. I've never smoked in my life & have only worked out-doors, mostly for Queen & Country.
QUESTION: Could the dust & residue from my instructional weapons/ explosive work have caused the TERMINAL Diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis? at this late state in my life. I'm a Disabled Pensioner ( ex-war veteran) aged 70.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Pulmonary fibrosis is usually idiopathic.
The exact cause is not known.
Anything is possible, but there is no established link between your exposure and PF
What did your pulmonologist say?