Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi Im 59 and have been in good health until this recent

Customer Question

I'm 59 and have been in good health until this recent problem developed. 6 weeks ago I started to do gentle running following an exercise programme. I noticed immediately that I was getting some slight pain in my right hip which went off following rest, I continued with the running for 3 weeks however stopped as the pain worsened to the extent that both hips became uncomfortable - it felt like I was wearing a tight girdle, now I have what is best described as stiffness in both hips and a feeling of tightness at the top of both thighs as if the muscles/tendon/ ligaments need to be stretched. At bout the same time I woke up with a stiff neck which has remained stiff and feels like its 'knotted' at the top of my spine. All symptoms respond well to ibuprofen and (heat in the form of hot water bottle) I can manage ok on 400mgs once daily. At Gentle exercise helps both problems which are worse in the morning and slowly improve through the day but I'm concerned that I may have something more concerning such as ankylosing spondylitis. I sleep well and eat very well!

I plan to see my doctor but would be glad of your view and advice, specifically is it safe to go on exercising?, I've heard so many conflicting opinions, but for me this would mean walking 3 miles a day and doing specific neck and hip exercise for loosening up the joints and have y0u any idea what the problem might be?

I have no other medical history of note and the only other medication I'm using re weekly oestriol pessaries. I am 5ft 2 and weigh 48 kgs
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

this does not sound like ankylosing spondylitis.

Dr. David :

it sounds more like arthritis or bursitis of your hips.

Dr. David :

I would continue to exercise but with less high impact

Dr. David :

so I would use the stair stepper or the eliptical machine instead of running or jogging.

JACUSTOMER-yvpoip1t- :

Thank you and what a relief, I will try low impact exercise as you suggest

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

why did you rate bad service?

JACUSTOMER-yvpoip1t- :

I am so sorry re - rating as excellent service, many apologies I inadvertently pressed wrong face

Dr. David :

thanks.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Do not continue to exercise until you see your doctor. As you state, your symptoms progressed with only mild exercise. \

Bursitis does not typically occur in both hips, and you condition can reflect a number of situations.

One is disc problems in the upper an lower spine.

Another is myositis or polymyalgia rheumatica.

All conditions, including bursitis, initially need rest, not exercise, and certainly not exercise when it is causing you to self medicate without a doctors evaluation.

All of these conditions can get worse with exercise. In disc disease, the correct physical therapy and guided exercises are needed, to prevent further damage.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, it is hurting you, stop for now.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].

Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].