Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I had unprotected while I was ovulating, I took the morning

I had unprotected sex while I was ovulating, I took the morning after pill 65 hours later. I had light bleeding for about two days a week after this. My period is two weeks late and I have been experiencing very slight sore lower back and abdominal pains for around three weeks. I have also been completely exhausted. I took two pregnancy tests which were both negative about ten days ago. Could I be pregnant or are these stress symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Yes you could be pregnant. But its unlikely if your pregnancy test was negative after you had already missed your period. You should do another pregnancy test right away. You used the morning after pill within 72 hours and had bleeding, so its most likely it was effective. The morning after pill will delay your cycle. This is normal.

Dr. K. :

Please do another home test, if its negative, you are not pregnant.

Customer:

Thank you. I got told that from the nurse who gave me the pill that because of the time in my cycle and because I left the MAP so late that there was a chance I could already of been pregnant, and that a short bleed could just be hormones from the pill instead of it working. Is this accurate?

Dr. K. :

No, within 72 hours is fine.

Dr. K. :

Yes, a short bleed could just be from the pill.

Dr. K. :

The morning after pill is a little less effective when taken that late. Do another home test