Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Urgent. My mum is awaiting surgery after being diagnosed with

Urgent. My mum is awaiting surgery after being diagnosed with metastatic liver cancer. She has been on zelboraf which is the best targeted drug. She hasn't reacted well and the dr thinks her liver might be blocked with a Tumor. What can be done with surgery and can targeted therapy be recommended if the blockage is removed?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi again--what exactly is going on right now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is an obstruction in the liver - they are going to have a look to see what it is tomorrow but they've been noncommittal on what it could be and what this could mean for the future
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
In the liver itself David or are they saying there's an obstruction of a bile duct? And why did they think there was an obstruction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They're going to put a stent in to see if the bile will drain if that's what it is. They talked about branches of the liver and possibility of tumors in those branches but they haven't scanned yet
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK David. I'm a bit limited here--not your fault--by not having the advantage of the scan results. If this is an actual blockage in her liver, while surgery could be considered, that would likely involve a very major operation and the removal of part or all of one lobe and at this point, considering her condition, that just wouldn't be a viable option. If the blockage were a bile duct, then surgery could be considered to resolve that blockage. The stent, at least for now, can relieve the obstruction of her bile drainage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, of it is the bile duct and it is removed, can targeted therapy recommence?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--that can continue after the duct is removed