DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi I am 34 yo male in generally good physical condition. Non

I am 34 yo male in generally good physical condition. Non smoker.
I am experiencing heart palpitations/missed beats and aching in my thighs and arms as well as heartburn. Doc has said maybe a virus. No medication. Symptoms are persistent. Can you help please?
P's I do not feel anxious. Thanks Joe B
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

you should go to the ER and get your heart checked and an EKG.

Dr. David :

have you had an EKG test?

Dr. David :

heart burn can cause chest pain. are you on antacids? acid blockers for your stomach acid?

Dr. David :

that is good you don't feel anxious.

Dr. David :

sometimes anxiety disorder can cause heart palpitations and excessive stomach acid production.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I am a clinician [hands on with patients] of over 20 years experience. Cardiology is our sub specialty.
I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

Do not attribute this to anxiety disorder.

This situation requires not only an EKG, but a 24 hour holter monitor to rule out cardiac rhythm problems.

You have even stated that you don't have an anxiety problem, which is more reason to make sure that you don't have an arrythmia.

With pain, this is even more important.

Calling this a virus is not appropriate, unless it is a viral pericarditis causing these problems, in which case you would need correct treatment.

I would not wait on this, as it seems you have not been worked up enough...if these symptoms are persistent, go to urgent care or the
ER, they will call your doctor for the follow up....or go back to the doctors office now.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Other than these symptoms I feel ok, perhaps a little tired. I have ecg booked tomorrow. Should I exercise? Can arrhythmia be treated/cured? I am starting to worry a little. Thanks again.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No exercise until you are checked.
Yes arrythmia can be treated and even cured; it depends on which one.
Most like this is PVCs which are harmless, but you have to make sure.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.