Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and prescribed

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and prescribed Omeprazole. I have terrible trouble with wind (especially at night) and a burning in my left shoulder blade and mouth, that is helps by clearing my throat.

I have been told this is excess acid, but I have also been told that this could be caused by too LITTLE acid, which would be made worse by Omeprazole.

How do I find out if this burning is caused by acid, and also whether this is too much or too little acid\/

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

The symptoms you have described seems most probably due to a condition called as GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disease).It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.Also there is associated gastritis.

A hiatal hernia is an anatomical abnormality in which part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm and up into the chest

A common cause of flatulence/wind is feeble secretion of stomach acid which leads to the improper digestion of foods.

To know weather there is excess of acid or there is little acid,you need following tests:

-Upper Endoscopy/Gastroscopy or EGD,
-Barium meal studies
-Barium follow through(BFT)

Considering your symptoms,the most probable cause seems to be too much of acid production.These above described tests will clearly indicate the exact causative organism.

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your gasto doctor to have these tests done so as to know the confirm underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert