Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been diagnosed with Labrynthitis. I have the dizziness/imbalance

I have been diagnosed with Labrynthitis. I have the dizziness/imbalance symptoms constantly. Is this normal to have these symptoms of feeling drunk and losing balance all the time and how long will they last?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long has this been going on for?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Admitted to A & E a week ago after waking with loss of balance and dizziness. A test was carried out with me following the Dr's finger!!!! I have been on medication for Hypertention, Cholesterol for many years.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Well, this condition occur due to irritation and swelling of the inner ear. It usually occurs after a local or systemic infection.
Feeling of spinning, dizziness are common with this condition.

Usually Labyrinthitis goes away within a few weeks.
For associated nausea and vomiting, you can take prochlorperazine (Compazine).
Usually doctor also prescribe Steroids like Prednisone, to reduce inflammation of inner ear. Dizziness would improve with time, It may take few weeks, to be free from symptoms.

You should also follow these measures-
1. You should avoid sudden movements or position changes.
2. You should slowly resume activity. You may need help walking when you lose your balance during attacks.
3. You should avoid bright lights, TV, and reading during attacks.

You may need prescription of drugs like steroids and also antibiotics.
To be honest, such dizziness would improve in few weeks.
Please consult your doctor and get this issue managed.

Good luck and Take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your useful information. However, I am concerned that I have the dizziness/imbalance continually. It does not come in frequent attacks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Is it usual to have dizziness/loss of balance due to Labrynthitis continually. Dr Robert mentioned it can come in 'attacks'. I have it continually.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I notice that you have relisted the question.

Yes, it is possible that the symptoms of a labyrinthitis may be present continuously. A common cause of labyrinthitis is a viral infection of the inner ear, and the symptoms of labyrinthitis is similar to other viral infections. For example, a viral infection of the nose will typically cause congestion and cough. For some people, the congestion and cough gets better and worse during the course of the days of the infection, while other have congestion or cough steadily through the course of the infection. Sometimes the increase and decrease in symptoms occurs spontaneously, while sometimes it may be due to the effect of a medicine to relieve symptom that later wears off.

Dr. Robert used the term attack to mean when the symptoms are bothersome, but it does not mean that the symptoms only occur in attacks. The advice that he gave applies to when the symptoms are bothersome, so that if the symptoms ease, either spontaneously or with the Stemetil, it would not be necessary to follow these restrictions.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, and thanks for your information. Just one more question, how effective is 'following the Dr's finger'!! in confirming Labrynthitis. This is a question I forgot to ask.

Many thanks once again.

Assessing tracking of the eyes when following a finger is looking for a particular movement of the eyes that frequently occurs with inner ear problems, called nystagmus. It is helps to confirm the diagnosis. There is no specific test that will confirm labyrinthitis. The diagnosis is made by a consistent presentation of symptoms, particularly new onset of dizziness, vertigo, or imbalance in a person with findings on exam of inner ear disease, such as by nystagmus. Statistically, the vast majority of people with recent onset of symptoms and inner disease have labyrinthitis. There are other diseases that can affect the inner ear, but they typically cause chronic or recurrent symptoms, so are usually only a concern in a person with chronic or recurrent symptoms. Even if one of these other conditions are present, the medicines used for labyrinthitis may help ease symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Once again, many thanks for your excellent service. I do feel more reassured now and will just have to see how the next few weeks go.

You're welcome. I hope that you feel better soon.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.