Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am 48 years old and have been experiencing signs of the menopause

I am 48 years old and have been experiencing signs of the menopause for some time with irregular periods etc. Always a week before I am due I have bad period pain, mood swings, insomnia and want to eat everything in sight and the moment it comes I am fine again. This time I have had PMT for two weeks now and no sign of a period . It is driving me crazy as I have all the symptoms and my weight is gaining by the day. I have zero energy to the point I am struggling to get out of bed in the morning or find it an effort to walk up the stairs. I have had to cancel going to the gym as I do not have energy, I do not want to be in public as I feel so awful that I want to hide away.The period pain wakes me in the night , it is so strong I am convinced when I get up in the morning I will have my period, but nothing. Please Please Please what can I do .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Sorry to hear about this but have you not seen a doctor about this as yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to them when I initially started getting the symptoms and had blood tests and a ECG as I experience heart palpitations also and everything came back fine . They all came back fine . Reading up on the menopause and other women who suffer similar they all say there is nothing that can be done and we have to live with it .They also state it is not taken seriously enough for those who suffer.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Debra but did they at least test your estrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels and did they say this was the beginning of menopause and leave it at that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure when they did blood tests what they tested for. I can call them tomorrow to find out . I am just struggling day to day at the moment. I can put up with the pain it's everything else especially the energy levels and feeling so washed out .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Debra--before we go on how exactly can I help you with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was hoping you could tell me .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Two parts here. Hopefully your thyroid function was checked since low thyroid could be part of the problem here. That said, it definitely sounds like you're in premenopause and for now, if you don't have any contraindications to it, I'd begin you on hormone replacement therapy to alleviate these symptoms. I usually use a bioidentical estrogen and progesterone cream rather than standard birth control pills. Hopefully you can check with your doctors about the blood results and they will treat you appropriately depending on what they find