Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Eye problems

There was a possibility I got a piece of dry dog faeces in my eye yesterday. I was told to go to hospital, they looked in my eye and they couldn't see anything but they flushed it with saline and have put me on antibacterial ointment for 5 days. I have been using this and my eye is still sore and is a little blurred today. Could this cause blindness?

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Redness or soreness is likely due to inflammation or irritation. It should go away in few days. Ibuprofen should help reduce the inflammation. Avoid rubbing your eye.

Please do not worry, it would not cause blindness.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I keep using the ointment? Used it three times yesterday, supposed to use it four but did not use it before bed or this morning and no irritation in my eye now. Should I use it in case of possible infection or should I not in case that is causing the irritation?

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Carole,

If there is no irritation or symptoms like redness, pain than you may stop using the ointment. If symptoms are still there {even if less severe} than continue the use.

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been told by nurse to keep using it for the full five days. I also saw my Doctor today for another matter and I asked for a new tube of ointment as some of mine has been wasted. He gave me the same thing, Chloramphenicol, but in eye drops instead of ointment. Are the drops as effective for preventing infection?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: No reply to important further question.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Carole,

Yes both are effective {as both contain antibiotic}.

Continue to use them as the doctor/ nurse must have examined you and than asked to continue.

Best