Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Ive leant over and my back has pinged with considerable pain

I've leant over and my back has pinged with considerable pain which is also down the top of my right leg. It Hurts to stand straight across the lower back. Not sure what to do
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Bob :

Hello. Do you have a history of low back issues?

Customer:

I did have perthaes and skoliosis as a child but all cleared when I was 16

Dr. Bob :

These conditions do put you at increased risk for back problems. What you describe, however, may simply be a torn ligament in the back.

Dr. Bob :

Ligaments are short thick rubberband-like structures that hold the bones of the back together and provide flexibility.

Dr. Bob :

They are easily torn, even with everyday activities, and can hurt a lot.

Customer:

This is the first time it's happened but it's quite some pain also in the top of the leg

Customer:

Ok what treatment would u advise pls

Dr. Bob :

Pain radiating into the leg sometimes, but not always, indicates a pinched nerve in the back.

Dr. Bob :

This could be from a slipped disc, though less common than ligamentous injuries.

Dr. Bob :

The best approach is to rest for 2 days, applying ice to the area of maximal pain, and taking anti-inflammatories (if you tolerate them) to reduce inflammation in the injured structure.

Dr. Bob :

Try to stay in comfortable positions, avoid bending at the waist or lifting more than 10 pounds.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Dr. Bob :

You're welcome. Hope all improves rapidly for you. If your condition worsens, or you develop problems controlling your bowel or bladder, do get examined.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Dr. Bob :

If you have no further questions, a positive rating would be much appreciated. Thank you.