Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

one year on following total hip replacement in left hip: I

one year on following total hip replacement in left hip: I have pain in my groin almost constantly also I cannot lift my left leg up from the ground when in standing position
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have associated symptoms like pain in the lower back/ tingling or numbness in the left leg? Were any investigations done to see for the cause?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have lower back pain but no numbness in the left leg

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Pamela,

Thank you for that additional information.

Let me explain a bit. Weakness at left leg {not able to lift the leg} with pain can be due to varied causes. Before putting it on hip replacement I would like to rule out irritation of the nerve. It can be at the spine level - pinching or at its course {secondary to diabetes or vitamin deficiency}.

The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertebral discs {soft tissue cushion if I may say}. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal {formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around}. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain / weakness due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too. MRI or CT scan Lumbar spine and blood tests would give us more details.

I would also get x ray of the hip to see if there is dislocation of the replaced joint/ infection.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ Motrin, warm compress should give relief to the leg.

Wish you well.

best