Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I suffer from ME/cfs I keep getting colds and flu which put

I suffer from ME/cfs I keep getting colds and flu which put me to bed for weeks. I eat health and try some exercise like swimming to help my muscles. I dont know what to do help myself anymore. My doctor is reluctant to give me flu jab as he says it may have given me ME/CFS in the beginning. I dont seem to get any surport from my doctors anymore as they dont seem to have any answers. Have you any advice to help me please.
Kind regards Maggie
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having these symptoms?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Welcome

Customer:

Iv had Me/Cfs for 12years. The colds and flu for the last five years on and off. They are making my Me/cfs unbearable as I cant seem to get any way forward. I do get good times with my condition but Im put streight back with the virus,s I keep getting. I also keep getting lots of cold sores. thankyou

Dr. Shahzad MD :

When was the last time you had a flu jab?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had any other tests like thyroid hormones, adrenal hormones ruling out adrenal fatigue.

Customer:

I was working as a medical secretary 12years ago and had the flu jab then. I also had a water infection. So it may be just coinsidence but i colapsed a few days after the flu jab, and was in hospital with severe limb weakness and fatique,plus brain symptoms. I had many many test over a long period. Some doctors said it was M/S some said M/E and other just not sure. I was in a wheelchair for two years. I have since then recovered to a degree, but these viruses are starting to push me back again, which is frightening me. I do think iv had most test possible but not sure on the adrenal hormone?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that with the kind of fatigue that you are having that you should have adrenal hormones especially the cortisol checked.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

morning evening cortisol followed by synthetic ACTH stimulation test is required.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus I would also recommend trying hormone replacement treatment with estrogen as after menopause these symptoms do tend to worsen and estrogen replacement may help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

A referral to an endocrinologist would be best.

Customer:

Thankyou for your advice. I will go back to my GP and ask. Would you recommend any supplement that may help me in the mean time

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are doing all the right things

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can may be take more multivitamins but I think you are doing enough already.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You need to be tested further and be referred like I mentioned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)

Customer:

Ok Thankyou