Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I took an iron overdose the other day which I had a blood test

I took an iron overdose the other day which I had a blood test for and they said I could go home but since then I have been feeling really ill and I have been on the toilet a lot and I have been vomiting feaces.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Customer:

hi

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What symptoms are you having at the moment?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How much iron did you take as an overdose?

Customer:

I just feel really sick and tired and dizzy and cant sleep and it makes me feel sick to eat and I am just to and from the toilet, I took 27 210mg of ferrous fumerate and then I took vitamin pills with iron in about 120 over the counter

Dr. Shahzad MD :

When was the last time you visited your doctor?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What did he/she say?

Customer:

I went to accident and emergency the night it happened and they took a blood test and said the iron levels were high but sent me home this was 4 days ago

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So you have not been to your doctor after that incident?

Customer:

no

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications for anything currently?

Customer:

I have arthritus in both my ankles where I had serious brakes and I currently take fluoxetine 40mg daily

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following up with a psychiatrist?

Customer:

no I was discharged ages ago due to me refusing to see them

Dr. Shahzad MD :

for how long are you on fluoxetine?

Customer:

about 2 years.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

what were your symptoms before you went on it and has there been any improvement with fluoxetine?

Customer:

I just get mood swings and get so hopeless and anxious and then self harm at times and I hear and see things more at different times and I find it hard to go out due to lots of people talking

Customer:

it is ok for some time and then really bad by no apparent trigger and then I just have to hope that I dont do something I regret but I am just worried as obviously its not good to have poo coming out of your mouth and it feels like my stomach is burning ?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How is your level of stress and anxiety currently?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

quite bad I just feel really nervous

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I personally think that you need to closely follow up with a psychiatrist.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You really do need regular close follow up.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think that the fluoxetine is doing its required job and you may require a change in medication.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or an additional medication.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Most of the symptoms that you are mentioning currently may be related to anxiety although iron overdose is a possible cause of your symptoms, still but is a bit unlikely.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Even the vomiting that you mention can happen with severe anxiety.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me/

Customer:

Ok I cant see a psychiatrist as I do not want to be judged and I feel like I cant go out as everyone will hurt me and cctv is watching me and I have to be on guard as I am on a mission

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You certainly do need expert help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

All these are symptoms of severe anxiety and you MUST be seen ASAP for these symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand your reservations about going to a psychiatrist.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But you certainly need to be seen at least by your GP if not your psychiatrist.

Customer:

I will make an appointment with my gp

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer:

so do you think I have an anxiety disorder? As I honestly dont think its mental health problems

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am very sure its anxiety disorder. I understand that you do not feel that way. My wife has the exact same problem. Its sometimes difficult for one to accept it but trust me this is severe anxiety.

Customer:

if it is what is the treatment

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Treatment varies from one patient to another.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is a long list of medications.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If one fails then we go and try another one.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus regular follow up and talk therapy is also very helpful.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

talk therapy is also called as cognitive behavioral therapy.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

CBT is very helpful indeed in addition to medications or even instead of medications.

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi Charlene,
How are you feeling now?