Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I went to my doctor complaining of the seemingly unrelated

Customer Question

I went to my doctor complaining of the seemingly unrelated symptoms;
slightly swollen gland in my groin
loose bowel movements
night sweats
slight shortness of breath that does not quite feel like asthma.
none of the above are severe the only one that is really bothering me is the night sweats really, because it is making me tired. Only mentioned the others because i was there. He has now ordered loads of tests. Are they really necessary and what is he looking for?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long has all this been going on and did your doctor have anything at all to say about it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

quite a while probably about a year. night sweats used to occur only with my period but that has been increasing, which is why i went.

He has ordered a chest x ray, and bloods to check FBC, celiac, hormones, thyroid, but didnt say why. I Had all this checked (not xray) about 2 years ago because i get really bad pain for about a week when i ovulate (still occurs every month without fail) and it came back normal

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Laura--can you tell me more about the breathing problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its not all the time, mainly when i am tried. just feels like i either cannot fully expand my lungs or just not getting enough oxygen. but its not an asthma like feeling there is no weezing or coughing and it feels like it is the bottom of my lungs rather than the narrowing f tubes if that makes sense? although i have been using the ventolin more but i have been an asthmatic all my life and not sure if that is in my head

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Laura. Here are my thoughts--a thyroid problem--perhaps hyperthyroidism--polycystic ovarian syndrome with hormonal fluxes, possibly irritable bowel syndrome (but I don't think celiac disorder is likely), and perhaps an H pylori infection (the so-called ulcer bug but you don't have to have an ulcer for it to cause symptoms). I basically agree with the tests he's ordered so far and hopefully the problem will be identified with those
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would the hormone and thyroid stuff not have shown up on my previous blood work though? how do you test for H pylori infection?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Either of those can begin to occur--cause symptoms--well within two years. The tests for H pylori include a breath test, a stool test, and/or a stool test
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, Sorry one last thing, is there any other tests you would be ordering if it was private care and not NHS?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No problem Laura. Except for the H pylori I don't think I'd get any other tests for now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, Many thanks for your time.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Laura but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, I rated you but have i paid, i cant tell??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Thanks--you did give me compensation by rating me Laura
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Call on me anytime Laura