Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

can a supra catheter cause huge amount of air build up

can a supra pubic catheter cause huge amount of air build up in bladder which when expelled, shoots along tube like rocket with wooshing sound and causes pain/
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--of course from what you're saying, yes it can but something is very wrong here since the tube shouldn't allow any air to get into the bladder through the catheter itself which would mean that somehow the air is getting into the bladder from around the catheter and then building to the point where it erupts from the catheter itself. This situation would require immediate evaluation by the urologist and the catheter would need replacing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could so much air get in around site? I am worried a bladder/bowel fistula may have been made during 2 major bowel obstruction ops but docs dont think so.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Possibly it could be a fistula but then I'd expect more than just air being expelled Sue--there should also be fecal material. In any event, this isn't something that there should be any delay in evaluating the situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you think of any other explanation

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--most likely a leak around the catheter or possibly a fistula--please get it checked out right away and let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you