Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Ring Pessary I have used these for around 6 yrs without

Customer Question

Ring Pessary I have used these for around 6 yrs without problems but lately experience light bleeding if constipated, definitely from the vagina and not the rectum. This goes away totally when not constipated. Lately detecting an odour too. Thinking of extracting and seeing how I manage or should this be a medical procedure? I am 66. Many thanks.

Please help. I've paid £11 with no answer re problem with forgotten password XXXXX long ago legal problem. Your system blocks me every time!!

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

A pessary is not meant to be left in 6 years. It should be removed and cleaned every 3-4 months. If you are not able to do this yourself, it should be done by your doctor. Bleeding may indicate ulceration of the vagina, often due to pressure on the rectum from constipation. It may not heal without removal of the pessary. Removing the pessary should be easy. You hook the end of your finger around the edge of the ring and pull it out. It cannot really become stuck. It would be best to be examined by a doctor. Hope this helps.