Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am getting incredibly painful muscle spasms in my left calf

I am getting incredibly painful muscle spasms in my left calf which literally come on with no warning and stop me in my tracks. Please tell me what is or may be going on. It is very alarming when changing gear but doesn't always happen. It happened when I was putting air in my tyres and then when I was waiting to pay for petrol. It does abate but I am hugely worried it may be dvt or a clot?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is your age?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having this problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

I am 64 D.O.B. 10.9.49

Customer:

Have been experiencing this the last week

Customer:

No other medical problems other than I hurt my ankle a week ago and went to see my GP who diagnosed me to take anti inflamatory Naproxen 250 mg one twice daily and as can cause gastric ulcers also prescribed Omeprazole. I am wondering if this has caused my problem so haven't taken anything today but muscle/calf problems still occurring

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Thank you for the additional information.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should have your electrolytes checked first because a problem with potassium, calcium, magnesium among other electrolytes can cause these kind of spasms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It seems unlikely to be a DVT or a clot.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If it were a DVT your leg would have most likely been swollen.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If it were a clot in one of the arteries rather than a DVT then you would have had a cold foot with reduced sensations on that leg.

Customer:

How does one get this checked i .e. electrolytes?? Is it available at G.P. Thank you for reassurance re DVT or a clot.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I think that you should try keeping yourself well hydrated and try taking calcium, magnesium supplements and also get tested. I would like that you should make an appointment with your GP and get these tests done.

Customer:

Is this a relatively standard test to request at G.P.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, you should make an appointment with your GP for getting examined and then getting these and other required tests done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes very common test.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Done in almost all the labs everywhere and any doctor can write it for you or prescribe this test to you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

I guess not other than do you think it can be addressed without conventional prescriptive meds?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But I would still want you to get tested and examined first.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I think so and for that the first step is keeping yourself well hydrated and taking calcium and magnesium supplements.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer:

Thank you for your help .. really appreciated.

Customer:

No more questions.

Customer:

Best regards, XXXXX

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hello Suzanne.
How are you doing?
Did you get any diagnosis on your spasms?
Please let me know.