Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im 22 years old. For the last

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m 22 years old. For the last two months I’ve been having some strange symptoms. I was wondering if you could point me in a direction.

Two moths ago I started having problems with urination (post-urinary dribbling, urgency and frequency). The doctors did all kinds of tests (ultrasound and urine sample analysis) but didn’t find anything (no infection) except for an increased amount of Streptococcus. I was given a Norfloxacinum but it did not work. About 5 weeks ago I started getting really tired. Daily activities are becoming a problem. I can’t focus on studying. In addition, I’ve started having memory problems such as remembering people’s names and finding the right words to say in sentences. For example, I forgot how to say a ‘can of beer’. I’ve also been finding it difficult to read as my eyes jump over words before I can read them. I’ve also got tremor in my hands, a little bit in my neck and my legs. As a result I’ve been spilling water from glasses and I have difficulty with fine motor skills like cutting my nails. I also have problems with swallowing, feeling a lump in my neck. I’m also getting clumsy and feel dizzy. I also feel like my eyes are swollen. Generally I’m in a bad mood worried about my health – but there’s no reason for me to be depressed. I just found that I’ve been accepted to my dream uni for a masters program but I’m not celebrating I don’t know why. Everything else is going well in my life.

What’s strange is that when I wake up in the morning I feel like I’m in a coma or a walking zombie, it lasts almost all day. Sometimes I somehow wake up in the evening, my mood gets better and I don’t feel brain fog. Despite that, the other symptoms prevail. I’ve been getting really powerful dreams recently, I remember them almost every night. Strangely enough, physical exercise, such as going for a jog doesn’t have any impact on how I feel.

Furthermore, last week I started getting panic attacks usually in the morning. I woke up and my hands were shaking a lot and I was feeling that I was going to die.

I’m eating a very healthy diet, lots of vegetables, fruits, moderate carbohydrates, meat, no refined sugar or sweets, no other bad stuff like chips and processed meals or anything.

Two years ago I had the same urination problem, without any other symptoms. The doctors didn’t find anything either and the problems went away within 3 months, although urinating never felt the same since. Thinking about my past, I remember that I occasionally suffered as a teenager from bouts of unexplainable fatigue but it disappeared or I didn’t pay much attention to it. I never was a particularly active child either, preferring to sit rather than do any activities. I don’t have any family history of any problems or illnesses.

My GP has told me that these can all be psychological symptoms but I don’t think so because I was completely fine 3 months ago and I’ve never had any psychological problems, nor had anyone in my family. If I didn’t have these symptoms I’d be over the moon. What do you think could be happening to me?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice.

Kind regards,

Jacob
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Customer:

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer:

I'm Jacob

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Jacob

Dr. Phil, MD :

nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

Do you take any meds or do any drugs Jacob?

Customer:

nice to meet you too

Customer:

no, nothing whatsoever

Dr. Phil, MD :

good

Dr. Phil, MD :

This is one of two things Jacob

Dr. Phil, MD :

well possibly three

Dr. Phil, MD :

did they check your thyroid?

Customer:

no

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay that should be checked along with basic blood work

Dr. Phil, MD :

The other two are anxiety

Dr. Phil, MD :

like your GP said

Dr. Phil, MD :

or something in the brain

Dr. Phil, MD :

I would get a CAT scan of the brain

Customer:

speaking of anxiety

Customer:

I'm wondering how that could be possible

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes

Customer:

becuase I'm don't feel worried or anxious

Dr. Phil, MD :

I know but anxiety can present in physical symptoms

Dr. Phil, MD :

this is quite common

Customer:

even if there is no apparent cause?

Dr. Phil, MD :

absolutely

Dr. Phil, MD :

many people just suppress normal anxiety until it builds up and BOOM

Customer:

ah ok

Customer:

that makes sense

Customer:

and the possible brain problem?

Customer:

that sounds a little bit strange given my age

Dr. Phil, MD :

It could be MS or something else very bad but I doubt it

Dr. Phil, MD :

1/million chance of that

Customer:

could anxiety be causing the urinary problems too?

Dr. Phil, MD :

absolutely

Dr. Phil, MD :

can cause any symptoms

Customer:

so what do you think is most likely, a thyroid problem?

Dr. Phil, MD :

I think it is anxiety

Customer:

I'm hoping it is, it sounds better than a brain problem

Dr. Phil, MD :

I think it is

Dr. Phil, MD :

many young people get unexplainable anxiety symptoms

Customer:

what would you recommend that I can do to help myself before seeing my GP?

Dr. Phil, MD :

I would recommend exercising regularly

Dr. Phil, MD :

excellent anxiety relief

Customer:

ok

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes

Customer:

so do you think that worring about my health could actually be causing a positive feedback loop

Customer:

in the sense that it worsens anxiety which is the probable cause of the symptoms

Dr. Phil, MD :

absolutely!

Dr. Phil, MD :

That is exactly what happens

Customer:

because forgetting my friend's name really gave me a fright

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes, I think it is all related

Customer:

I don't know how long i'm supposed to chat with you, is it time to end?

Dr. Phil, MD :

if you are satisfied

Customer:

yes I am, thanks for your advice

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome

Dr. Phil, MD :

would you mind rating positive before leaving?

Customer:

good bye

Customer:

of course

Customer:

I mean I wouldn't

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)