Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am a male aged 68, following a infection which is now

I am a male aged 68, following a urine infection which is now cleared I have had a scan and this has revealed that I am not fully emptying my bladder after urinating. This is leaving a significant reservoir of urine in the bladder. I have an enlarged prostrate, but on examination it shows no other problem such as cancer.

what do you think the treatment may be?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What kind of doctor are you following for this? A urologist?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Not fully emptying bladder with an enlarged prostate means that your bladder is not fully emptying because the enlarged prostate is not allowing your bladder to fully empty.

Customer:

yes I am seeing a urologist

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You may require treatment in the form of medications for this and if medications fail you will require prostate surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What has your urologist recommended?

Customer:

well i only had the scan on Friday and I have not seen him again yet, i was just wondering likely outcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you will require medications like tamsulosin, which is a medication that helps open up your bladder. If this works then your urologist will continue with it. If it fails then your next step may be surgery i.e. TURP.

Customer:

Googling sometimes does not help, I see lots of references to a catheter and I was hoping this was not the answer to my problem

Customer:

ok THANKS FOR THIS

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Catheter is only placed if you have complete obstruction to outflow of your urine meaning urinary outflow obstruction which you are not having I presume.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Residual urine means you are passing urine but you are not emptying your bladder fully.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So you will not require a catheter.

Customer:

no I am not having this issue (yet)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yup so you do not require a catheter.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

However you can have recurrent infections because of residual urine staying in there.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would appreciate it if you would rate me for my services by clicking on one of the rating options below as that is the only way I am credited by the website for helping you out.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Hello.
How are you doing?
Did your urologist get to see you?
Any progress on your diagnosis and treatment?
Please let me know