DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 50 years old and was diagnosed with an under active thyroid

I am 50 years old and was diagnosed with an under active thyroid over three years ago I started on eltroxin 100mmg and then went to 50 and two months ago they put me on 25 I just have been told after a blood test to stop them for three months and then get bloods done again is this right as I thought when you had a thyroid u had it for life I'm afraid by stopping I will go back to square one again can u help please
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
If you were overdosed, they would hold the med for a little while.

If you are truly hypothyroid, they would not stop the med indefinitely, but will start it back when your level is stable.

This should be based on the TSH level.
Which optimally should be around .8 to 1.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much with my thyroid been unstable my blood pressure went up very high they couldn't get it down so I had to go on medication to stabilize it now they want to put a monitor on to get the true result will I have to stay on tablets or come off them to see how I am doing without tablets which is what I think should be the way am I right ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
That is correct
Once you are down on the levels, they will see, and decide what dose to use.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How many days before I get the monitor on do I stop the tablets please

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
TSH should be checked after 6 weeks, then the dose adjusted.