Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hello, I am 48 years old and for the last few months I have

I am 48 years old and for the last few months I have from time to time been experiencing very heavy sleep that does not feel natural i.e. as if even on the verge of pre-coma/light coma. Most recently, my mum and dad had a lot of trouble awakening me today. And a similar experience occurred only about 3 days ago also.

I experience a number of long-term health challenges, including severe post-traumatic stress, depression, diabetes, psoriasis, ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic athritisis.

I have wondered if the very, very heavy sleep could be to do with ciclosporin, that I take for psoriasis.

But am aware a person can experience lethargy due to diabetes. I take metformin and insulin every day. But do not take my own blood sugar due to symptoms relating to ptsd and depression. However, the last blood test I had taken on behalf of the hospital came back as very good. Although I was reminded that blood sugar can go too low, rather than just too high.

Whereas it would be easy to attribute the very deep sleep verging on pre-coma to diabetes, my personal feeling is that it may well be due to medication.

I would be very grateful of any appropriate information or advice.

Kind regards,

XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you, recently or in the past, been tested for thyroid problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had any tests done for this particular problem or been seen as yet?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome, please answer the questions that I posted above so that I can help you out in a better way. Thank you.

Customer:

I have not been tested for thyroid problems and have not had any tests done for this particular problem at present.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that the first thing that I would do is that I would test your thyroid function.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Increase levels of fatigue and sleepiness can commonly happen when thyroid gland is underproducing hormones.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This is called as hypothyroidism.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should be seen for this and you should let your GP know that you are experiencing these symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should request your GP to have your thyroid function tested.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anything else that you would like to add or ask?

Customer:

I had an actual or near hypo in August 2013, but I do not think it is that this time

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You mean hypoglycemia?

Customer:

It was very high good sugar, rather than very low

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Actually very high sugars can happen after very low sugars and this is called as reactive hyperglycemia.

Customer:

OK

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So you have to have your blood glucose checked more regularly because very high sugars may mean a preceding reading of a low blood glucose for which the body is compensating.

Customer:

Thank-u. I am not sure what else one can do for now

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)

Customer:

Thank-u. Good-bye :)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Most welcome. Bye :)

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael.
Did you have your thyroid tested?
How are you doing?
Please let me know.
Kindest Regards