Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hi dr love its mark again i have suffered with belanitus

hi dr love its mark again
i have suffered with belanitus on and off since my late teens well i think it is

googled it shouldn't have ?? help!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello again.
When you say that you think it is, does that mean that you have not needed to see a doctor for this?
What have you been doing for the problem when it flares up?
Is the Emuaid the only product that has been helpful?
Is there any particular issue that you discovered on Google that you wish for me to address?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi dr

Bye the way my liver tests came back normal !!!!! Fantastic the dci said !!!

Alt now 40
As you know I suffer anxiety so when Google says belanitus raises risk of cancer !!!!!! I panic

The red itchy inside of penis skin makes the penis a bit red and it itches

If I wash it when I shower everyday then put emuaid on it it goes completely but returns it can last a week go for two weeks it's been like that since I was 18 I also have has jock itch and the emuaid helps that to after running.
It is great that your liver function is normal.

It is clearly not a problem with cancer. Cancer would not cause a chronic, recurrent problem that has been bothersome for 30 years.

The most common cause of chronic, recurrent balanitis is a fungal infection of the skin, just as jock itch is a fungal infection. There are other potential germs, but a fungal infection is the most common Certainly, good hygiene is important to keep chronic recurrent balanitis under control. The Emuaid is designed to help ease inflammation in the skin, and as long as it works, that is fine. However, if the Emuaid is not sufficient, the usual next step would be to try an anti-fungal medicine, such as clotrimazole.

If it the clotrimazole is not sufficient, then it would be appropriate to be seen by your doctor to assess for other possible germs that may be involved.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I can relax a little ?

It won't increase cancer risk ?

It can go completely and is much better when penis is erect

The itching is the worst part feels like I need to itch it urgently a bad itch. !

The redness is a few patches and sometimes spots ?

The jock itch leaves some scarring but it also goes completely sometimes again the itching is the worst part !

Can I buy any cream over the counter ???
Yes, you can relax.

It is not that balanitis will cause cancer, but stubborn balanitis may be a sign of cancer. However, that would not be true for someone in whom it has been stubborn for 30 years. If cancer had been present, it would have progressed by this point and caused far more problems than the balanitis. If it had only been present for a year or so, then cancer might be possible, although even then it is not common. But after 30 years, it clearly is not related to cancer.

The symptoms that you describe are common with a fungal infection. Itching is the most common symptom with a fungal infection.

The clotrimazole that I noted above is over the counter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also my full blood count is perfect and glucose low none in my urine either. Lipids and colestrol all very good so as you say these would be showing something ?

Do some people have to live with it genetic ??????

So management is key ??
Blood tests are typically normal in balanitis. People with diabetes are more prone to balanitis and other fungal infections, but it also occurs in many non-diabetics, so a normal blood sugar is not surprising.

Some people are more prone to it and it may be genetic, but it is not a clearly defined genetic condition.

Yes, good hygiene and medicines are the usual approach.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.