Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I was wondering if you might be able to help me with this, When

Customer Question

Hi I was wondering if you might be able to help me with this,

When I get up in the morning and come out my bedroom and come down stars i start coughing for ages on and off like i am trying to clear my throat i have had this for well over 2 years on and off. I don't smoke in my bedroom i do have a pure fire cleaning the air in it
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Does this happen upon awakening even if you do not come down the stairs?
Have you noticed whether it happens if you have to get up in the middle of the night, such as to urinate?
Do you smoke elsewhere outside the bedroom?
Do you have any other symptoms, such as congestion, drainage, post-nasal drip, or heartburn?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

does not happen upon waking up only when i come out of my bedroom and come down stars it does not happen in the middle of the night I DONT smoke and no one has ever smoked in or near my room i dont have any other symptoms apart from most mornings i do wake up in bed with the left side of my noise blocked. My parents had smoked for many years but they are giving up using electronic cigarettes

Thank you for the additional information.

The most likely cause of these symptoms would be from allergies. The pattern of allergy symptoms can vary significantly depending upon what that person is allergic to. Certain allergies, such as to skin mites, will cause greater symptoms during or after sleeping, because there is greater exposure when lying in bed. Even if the bed linens are cleaned and replaced regularly, the mattress itself will usually be a source of the dust mites to which the person is allergic.

I ask about heartburn because another common condition that can cause cough upon awakening is from acid reflux, which frequently gets worse when lying down. Allergies are more common to do this than acid reflux, particularly in young adults, but if there were heartburn, it would raise the likelihood of acid reflux. The blockage of the nose that you are experiencing is more suggestive that it is an allergy.

I will note that very few people are truly allergic to cigarette smoke, however, any source of pollution can exacerbate an allergy to another substance. First or second hand exposure to cigarette smoke has been shown to do this, but so has open fireplaces and other personal sources of pollution.

Although it would require a proper evaluation to make a diagnosis, it would be reasonable to try some over the counter allergy medicines to see if the symptoms improve. An antihistamine would be the usual first-line medicine.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't get heartburn that i know of, what kind of antihistamines do you recommend and how long do you say i need to take them and when Thank you

Any antihistamine is fine. Part of the reason that there are so many antihistamines on the market is that different antihistamines will work better for different people. In population studies, each antihistamine works for about the same number of people, but different people respond to different antihistamines. So the correct answer is whichever works better for you is fine. If you have never tried an antihistamine, then it would be reasonable to use one of the newer antihistamines that last longer and are usually better tolerated. These include cetirizine (Zyrtec) and loratadine (Claritin). It would be appropriate to take them at bedtime, so that they are working through the night.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you is there anything else i can do or try to help along with antihistamines

The usual approach is to use an antihistamine first. Some people combine it with a decongestant, but most people find that the antihistamine works as well and avoids the side effects of the decongestant. It is fine to use a simple cough syrup with the antihistamine, as long as the cough syrup does not contain an additional antihistamine, such as Robitussin.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you is there a medical name for what i have

The medical term is dependent upon the site of the inflammation from the allergies. If it is in the upper airways, it would be called an allergic rhinitis. If the inflammation is in the airways in the lungs, it would be called an allergic bronchitis.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi not sure if you can explain this to me but this morning i was no ware near as bad as all the other mornings i spoke about. But i had not changed anything that night/evening

Any condition can have good and bad days, so it does not necessarily mean anything that someone has a day with better symptoms. Even in your original question, you say that it has been bothering you off and on for a couple years.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is correct but do you think my Air Purifier

on this link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hepa-Purifier-Ioniser-Remote-Control/dp/B0001CGKGU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1399376653&sr=8-10&keywords=air+filter will be helping me in any way. I will be getting tablets as soon as i get to town.

Many people find that an air purifier helps allergies, but there are also many people in whom it does not help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you but is the one i got any good and it is on 24/7 or do you recommend anything else till i get to town to get the tablets

Yes, any HEPA filter is the best that can be done. The options are those noted above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok ill keep mine going like it is and get the tablets and see how i go what do i do it it does not improve after the tablets, could it be something wrong with my lungs

Allergic bronchitis is a problem with your lungs, so yes, it could be a problem with your lungs. Other lung problems can also occur, but far less common than an allergic bronchitis.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it ok to keep this question open till i have tried the tablets when i get them

You can return to the question even after you provide a positive rating. It does not have to be kept open. But if the tablets don't work, the likely next step would be that you may need to be seen.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

need to bee seen by who?

Your primary care doctor.