Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have diaphragmatic hernia/acid reflux which has been worsening.

I have diaphragmatic hernia/acid reflux which has been worsening. I find it very hard to clear my throat/reflux causes severe pain. GP checking for helicobacter? Worried about throat cancer as problem long time. can you advise me re diffential diagnosis, could I have oesophageal cancer? thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--have you had an upper endoscopy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no although my GP has mentioned it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Maxine--how long have you had the reflux problem? Have you ever been on a PPI like Nexium or Protonix?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know what a ppi is although I do take a combination of omeprazole and ranitidine. I've had the problem for several months and the pain is increasing. I am providing my surgery with a sample of faeces within the next two weeks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Maxine and we can continue after this if you need. Several months of reflux doesn't lead to cancer so you can put that worry to rest. You might well have a problem with H pylori and you might even have a peptic ulcer and in that case a round of antibiotics and something like the omeprazole may clear things up completely. That said, you need to see a gastroenterologist for the upper endoscopy to look for any esophageal damage or a possible ulcer. That said, if all that and maybe other medications don't work on the reflux you might need surgery like a gastric fundoplication to stop the acid from reaching your esophagus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm still worried about having cancer because I can't remember exactly how long I've had the problem for. How long would acid reflux need to be a problem before raising the risk that cancer may develop (I know that's a difficult question - I'm one of the greatest worriers of all time)!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Maxine. For you to have developed cancer to the point of maybe having problems with swallowing would take several years of reflux. And in general, esophageal and throat cancer on their own don't cause pain. I have no real concern about cancer in your case but the reflux does need some further workup. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everyone says that using the internet in order to find out more about health problems isn't a good idea because it leads all of us to think we're about to die on the spot! I am reassured by your thorough explanations and reassurance. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Maxine and please don't forget the rating and I agree--don't Google symptoms if you have them yourself