Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi, for about a week now about 20mins after I have eaten I

Hi, for about a week now about 20mins after I have eaten I get pain in the upper abdominal region which normally lasts about an hour or so. I haven't had any vomiting or diarrhea. It started last week after I had been out for a few drinks.
The last couple of days the pain has gotten slightly worse but is tolerable.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Do you smoke?

Q. Do you have any stress or anxiety?

Q. Have you been on any medication for a long time?

Q. Do you also experience heart burn or a bitter taste in the throat?

Q. Any phlegm or sputum with cough in the mornings?

Q. Is the pain dull aching or sharp stabbing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

No

Just the contraceptive pill

No

No

Dull aching mostly, stabbing now an again

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, Corinne.

This does sound like gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining), which occurs mostly in response to excessive acid secretion in the stomach as a result of eating snacks, spicy, salted, barbecued and smoked foods in excess. Anxiety prone and people under physical or mental stress are more liable to suffer from it. But the most common cause is H. Pylori infestation which is a bacteria that causes gastritis as well as peptic ulceration. It has been established that approximately 70 percent of the people with or withou any symptoms test positive for this bacteria.
The best course of action will be to see a Gastroenterologist or at least your PCP. However, while you get the appointment, you will need to alter your diet by avoiding the above mentioned foods as well as hot beverages and fizzy drinks.
Other than that you can start on Omeprazole (Prilosec 20mg) twice a day, empty stomach and sleep with a glass of milk and some cookies on your side. The pain can start when the stomach is empty and full of acid at night, this can be relieved by taking some milk and cookies.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.