DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi I have been to the doctor today as I have been getting panic

Hi I have been to the doctor today as I have been getting panic attacks etc as I have started the menupause, she has given me hrt Elleste Duet, I have only taken one and decided against taking anymore, can I still take a solgar l-theanine to calm me down so that I can sleep tonight? or if not that lemon balm or a stress relief tablet as Im very anxious, thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

Theonine is only effective in some people, if they are deficient in it.

In my practice I have found that l tryptophan is much more consistently effective, 500 mg, or 2-500mg, or even up to 6 pills if you have to work up to that.

Tryptophan is over the counter once again.

Still, you should be seeing your doctor about this, even if you don't want hormone therapy there are other options, such as an SSRI.
Tryptophan should also be supervised in my view.

Magnesium is often relatively deficient as well in this situation.

Often adding taurine during the day can help.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is a non drug approach to managing anxiety, and it has been shown to be effective.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks I just wanted to know if it was safe for me to take anything tonight on top of the hrt even though Ive only taken one, I will look into the suggestions you have made

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It should not affect the HRT that you have already done.
But there is a lack of study with drug interaction, so caution is always advised with "natural" approaches.