DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Whilst I accept that children in split residence can display

Customer Question

Whilst I accept that children in split residence can display different physical and emotional traits in each home, is it possible that they, amongst other things, cannot manage steps, stand on one leg to dress, be frightened of loud noises and lights, have issues with timing & co-ordination, be aggressive and have tics,in one home, but successfully ride a bike, for the past 5 years, in the other without stabilisers or help, run up upstairs, beat his dad dancing on Just Dance on the Wi, love firework displays, shows no sign of aggression or tics. Are these differences, which are diametrically opposed, possible in an Autistic child? Please help, or point me in the direction of published research that can guide me please. Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX concerned Step Mum
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
this would require a medial evaluation
Has that been done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not regarding the differences, my step sons mum excluded my husband on the grounds of no PR with the Autism Spectrum Team until everything was in place. He now has PR but the team no longer work with my step son. These are just an example of the differences. We have photographs and videos of him doing quite the opposite to the mothers claims. We were instructed to get him a trampoline to help with his balance but with us he's ridden a bike, happily, for several years without help or assistance. I would just like to know if these differences are unusual or quite commonplace please? or if there is any research that I can review to help me understand. Many thanks

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This is not self help, and needs an evaluation.
Your description is not common place.
There can be many physical reasons for this, and a medical exam is needed.
Anything else is guessing.

Iron deficiency
Lead poisoning
ADHD
Neurological problems
B vitamin deficiencies
Other metabolic problems such as thyroid disease
All should be ruled out.

Make sense?

You are not specifically describing a psychological disorder.
I would take this child to the GP right away.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are the differences likely to be caused by his Autism?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
Autism can result in these differences as well.