Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

16 year old with very productive cough, green mucus. Blocked

16 year old with very productive cough, green mucus. Blocked nasal cavities, muffled hearing, exhaustion. Symptomatic for 10 weeks!!!! Seen several of our practice GP's, had Amoxyxillin, nasal spray, decongestants, anti histimines. Taking Zinc, vitamin C, Metatone tonic. Nothing is helping at all!! Had bloods taken and sputum sample. Only shown slight increase in inflammation indicator. Daughter becoming very depressed. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist and can help you. Haven't she seen an ENT specialist so far? How the sputum sample was taken? Have they checked nasal secretions for culture test? Any CT scan done? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No ENT appointment suggested, no CT scan. Sputum from cough production into sample container. No culture test from nasal secretions
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Claire thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about her problem. As per symptoms this is pretty obvious that she is having acute infection of her sinuses (with or without nasal polyps). The main source of infection is sinuses and the secretions from sinuses is congesting the ear tubes present behind the nose to cause muffled hearing. The same nasal secretions when trickle in her throat causes cough. The green colour of the secretions means that there are two possibilities; Either this is a pseudomonas bacteria responsible for infection or the infection is due to some fungus (rare but possible). Amoxicillin is not an effective antibiotic against these green mucus infections. Fatigue is part of any of these infections. But don't worry and ask your daughter that there is nothing to worry at all, she can be fine very soon, she just need proper treatment which so far has not been provided. Blood samples never give a clue in such sinus infections and sputum samples can never yield a growth here because in such cases secretions from nose have to be collected for culture test. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations following measures can help.

1. OTC xylometazoline nasal spray ( if not used earlier)2 puffs thrice daily for five days.
2. Steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily.
3. I would like to share a home remedy. Take 250 ml of honey, add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It might take 7 days or more but will help her.

She must see an ENT doctor and should get the following tests at least.

1. Pure Tone audiometry and tympanometry.
2. CT scan of the sinuses.
3. Nasoendoscopy and culture test of nasal secretions.

If culture test shows pseudomonas, your doctor can prescribe ciprofloxacin antibiotics and if culture shows fungal infection then he may need treatment accordingly. Hearing will get better once the nose problem is treated. I reassure you and your daughter that nothing is serious here, she just needs proper evaluation and treatment and she is going to be fine soon. My best wishes and prayers are for your daughter. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I insist on ENT appointment since not being suggested?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your input. Yes you can because the problem is purely related to ENT and GP has failed to address it. Blocked nose, muffled hearing, cough with sputum........... it is a clear sinus issue. Suppose he refuses then you must ask him for ciprofloxacin antibiotics and CT scan of the sinuses. Don't worry everything is going to be Ok. My best wishes and prayers are for your daughter. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
HI, I was concerned so I thought I should ask that how is your daughter feeling now? Is there anything I can help you with? Regards