DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, My dad has suffered from vascular dementia for 15 years

Hi, My dad has suffered from vascular dementia for 15 years or so. Recently he was prescribed statins to control his cholestorol. My mum who is also his carer, says he suffered a sharp decline in his awareness and faculties since using these.

Is this a recognised side effect? Also he sufferes from extere lethargy and is unresponsive most of the time, could mild stimulants help "wake him up"?

Thanks in advance
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
How long on the statins?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My mum cant recall but it has been many years. Recently he had septicaemia and while he was recovering they did not administer the statins. During this period he seemed much more aware and talkative.

Ben

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
Statins can affect memory.
So memory loss can be a side effect.
In this case they would appear to worsen the problems.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.