Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am getting pains exactly where my heart is it is like someone

I am getting pains exactly where my heart is it is like someone is grabbing it with there hand, I do suffer from anxiety I have gone to my local doctors and they said not to worry but have done no tests I had all the tests 4 years ago but them pains were not like these, how can I put my mind at rest how do I know they are not serious?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more like how often these occur and how long they last? Your doctors haven't done anything at all--not even an ECG?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The pains are really random when they occur and last for a second or two I had an ECG 4 years ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Chris--and we can continue after this if you need to. In general, angina or threatened heart attack pain doesn't last for just a few seconds and then is completely gone, so I don't think this is something like that. That said, you may be having one or two skipped beats--either atrial (most likely) or ventricular premature contractions. So, to check for that, you need an ECG, a Holter monitor (24 hour ECG), a stress test, and an echocardiogram to look for something called mitral valve prolapse which is often connected to these irregular beats. I don't think this is anything really serious here but that is how I would work this up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So how can I stop the pains and my doctor won't refer me for tests so how do I get them can you recommend something?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Magnesium 250 mg twice a day can help as well as no caffeine or chocolate. Omega 3 fatty acid capsules can also help. Talk to you doctor again about the possibility of premature contractions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me what heart pains would be like then
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Usually a crushing--someone is sitting on my chest--pain that lasts at least several minutes and there can also be pain in the left jaw or the left arm. Usually it's accompanied by sweating, nausea, and sometimes shortness of breath
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you do not get pains where your heart is when I get them I feel unwell
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Unwell how Chris?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Like something is really wrong
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Chris--that sounds like your anxiety kicking in. Seriously, this doesn't sound like you're about to have a heart attack but try my suggestions above and talk to your doctor again. I really can't add any more to all this so please let me know how it goes for you and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went to see a osteopath today and now I ache all over and feel a bit sick is that from him or something to do with the pains
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No Chris those symptoms aren't connected to your chest pain and I'll be glad to discuss those with you but first I'd ask that you rate my answer above first