Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is it safe for me to take "Travella" travel sickness tablets

Customer Question

Is it safe for me to take "Travella" travel sickness tablets containing Apomorph,Staphisagnia,Cocculus,Theridion,petroleum,Tabacum and Nux vomica-
after tests by a consultant it was discovered that I have bibasic T-wave and T-wave
inversion in my heartbeat. Although I do not have long QT, the consultant advised me to check before taking any sort of medication as if I did have it, just to be on the
safe side. Do any of the above listed ingredients cause a speeding up of the heartbeat? As I shall be on a car ferry, I need to have a remedy that does not
cause drowsiness - hence Travella.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There is no identified risk of this product associated with its use in a person with long QT syndrome or similar disorders. That also includes no identified interactions with drugs that are known to prolong the QT interval.

However, some of the ingredients are reports to cause an irregular heart beat or anxiety, which can be associated with an increase in heart rate.

One of the ongoing issue with many of these products is that they are not well studied to be able to answer the potential effect on medical conditions. The manufacturer of the product will say that there are only small amounts of each ingredients, so that the risk of side effects is low, and that is generally true. But in someone that may have a condition that could be exacerbated by substances that affect the heart rate or rhythm, it would be wiser to avoid the product.

In summary, there is no clear evidence that the product affects persons with a long QT syndrome or similar problems, but there have been reports of side effects from some of the individual ingredients, so it would be wiser to avoid the product.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, it is very informative and I shall not take the

Travella tablets! Are you aware of any over-the-counter traditional

medications which do not cause drowsiness and would be safe to use

with my condition? I am usually a good sailor so hope that I shall be

fine, but it is going to be windy in the English Channel tonight!

The medicines that are used for motion sickness can cause drowsiness. Of the medicines, the drug that is least likely to cause side effects is cinnarizine, but it still can cause drowsiness as a side effect.

There is a supplement that is much better tolerated, but the evidence that it is effective more motion sickness is unclear, because the results of the studies are mixed and inconsistent. The supplement is ginger, which can be taken as a dedicated supplement or added to food. It also is not reported to affect heart rate or rhythm.

So, the approach that would be best tolerated and may help would be ginger. If you want something that is more likely to be effective with the lowest risk of drowsiness, it would be cinnarizine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - I have some ginger sweets so shall take those with me!

You're welcome. I hope that it works well for you.