DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

what oral therapy ie antibiotic can be used to treat stenotrophomas

what oral therapy ie antibiotic can be used to treat stenotrophomas affecting my lungs?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This is an opportunistic organism and is difficult to treat, assuming you have infection.

We do NOT guess in this situation, but base treatment on laboratory culture and sensitivity.

If there is actually infection, IV antibiotics are needed, not oral, in most cases..

However, assuming one wanted to try to treat it orally, it is usually susceptible to bactrim.

Again, culture and sensitivities should be done.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

In general, if bactrim can not be used, talking of antibiotics in generalthe organism is usually sensitive to meropenem, minocycline, respiratory quinolones, or colistin/polymyxin B.