Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

recently my pulse rate has gone down to 41-48 blood pressure

recently my pulse rate has gone down to 41-48 blood pressure ok at around 110-68. it has been in the 60's for years. Since August I swim twice a week but am no athlete. What could be the reason?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any symptoms when the pulse is in the 40s?
Are you otherwise healthy?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am otherwise healthy and no symptoms. I am not overweight, 6ft2in and 14 stone

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several possibilities to consider in this situation.

The most common reason for a slow heart rate that is not associated with any symptoms is from cardiovascular conditioning. This is particularly true when the heart rate is in the 50s, but also can cause a heart rate in the 40s.

There are several possible medical conditions that can cause a slow heart rate. The most common of these is sinus node dysfunction (the sinus node is the natural pacemaker of the heart). Sinus node dysfunction can occur at any age, but becomes more common as people age. It appears to be due to degeneration or loss of the electrical fibers in the sinus node. Other medical conditions include various forms of heart black or abnormal rhythms that do not cause a significant pulsation with each beat.

It is good that you are not having any symptoms, but it still would be appropriate to be seen by your doctor to be certain whether any of these conditions are present. It may not be necessary to treat what is found, as we typically do not treat a slow heart rate in the 40s if it is not causing symptoms, unless there is a more worrisome rhythm problem that is found on evaluation. If the heart rate drops below 40 or is associated with any symptoms, such as lightheadedness or fainting, then treatment would be indicated.

If I can provide any further assistance, please let me know.