DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My daughter is at the end of her tether, my 6 year old grandson,

My daughter is at the end of her tether, my 6 year old grandson, who can be the most beautiful, caring child can suddenly turn into an abusive, aggressive monster, who is also becoming dangerous. He lashes out and throws things at his mum, sometimes laughing when he thinks he has hurt her. My daughter is a single mum of two and she is feeling than she cannot keep him with her is the gets any worse. We have seen the GP who referred him to CAMHS but they say its not their department as he does not show this aggression when at school/with child minder, it seems to be only at home. They have since been referred to Sure Start, who are liaising with them as a family. It seems to be when he is told he can't have something, and almost always at bed time. Please can you help
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what you medical question is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your website offered help from a person with Child psychology experience, I was hoping you would be able to give me some advice about which way to go with this issue?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Formal medical and psychological assessment.

First of all, there are medical problems that can contribute to this condition.
Iron deficiency
Lead poisoning.
Thyroid disease.

As a few examples, so he should have all screenings.

Secondly, there are psychological disorders, such as ADHD, conduct/defient disorders, depression and anxiety, all of which can contribute to this.

Sometimes is is as simple as a few sessions of therapy; sometimes more medical intervention is needed.

What it is not is a self help home treatment situation, as these situations are complex and require expert hands on assessment, and labs to sort out a diagnosis, if there is one.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].