Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hello. My name isXXXXX I have seen an "eye doctor",

Customer Question

Hello. My name isXXXXX
I have seen an "eye doctor", specialist in a private hospital concerning my cyst on the eyelid close to the eye.
He suggested an operation to take it away (with a bit of the eyelid in the process ).
I've also seen a dermatologist who thinks it's better for an "eye doctor" to take the cyst away but should be enough by squeezing it or puncture it.Both agree on the cyst being benign.

Should I take a second opinion from another eye doctor?
Elisabet
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

how long has the cyst been on the eyelid?

Dr. David :

is the cyst painful?

Dr. David :

there are benign cysts called styes which can form on the bottom of the eye lid, close to the lashes and be sore and painful.

Dr. David :

these sytes are caused by viral infection and touching the eye.

Dr. David :

but will go away in time and do not need an eye surgery.

Dr. David :

things like warm compresses on the eye and extra sleep and rest can help.

Customer: I have had it for a couple of months, but with no other concerns then it's irritating my eye a bit and that it doesn't look so nice.
Dr. David :

have you tried any warm compresses on your eye?

Dr. David :

have you tried to get extra sleep and rest

Dr. David :

and take extra vitamin C in fruits and vegetables to improve your immune system

Dr. David :

to help get rid of this stye on your eyelid?

Customer: Thank you for this. The cyst haven't given me pain or other distress. Just irritating my eye a bit. I've had it for a couple of months.
Customer: rgds
Dr. David :

did you see my response and questions above?

Customer: Now I saw it. I have tried the warm compressor but I will try again. Is there anyway for a medical person to take it away without surgery and if I try to find that what would I ask for to explain it correctly?
Dr. David :

you can return back to the eye doctor to drain the cyst.

Dr. David :

they can stick a small needle into the cyst and drain it and help the infection come out.

Dr. David :

you don't necessarily have to have surgery as the first thing for a benign cyst of the eye lid.

Dr. David :

these styes tend to be caused by viral infections.

Dr. David :

and so anti-viral medications like acyclovir could help as well.

Customer: He wasn't interested in that alternative, just hot compressor or surgery! Does this mean I should try another doctor?
Dr. David :

yes, you should try another eye doctor

Dr. David :

it sounds like that private eye doctor all he wants to do is surgery which makes him more money.

Customer: Yes, I got that impression too.
Customer: thank you for this and I will now rate you highly.
Dr. David :

thanks.

Customer: have a good day rgds elisabet
Dr. David :

you can always reach me here

Dr. David :

if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

thank you for the positive feedback

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician