Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Good evening A couple of days ago I was taking part of a theatrical

Good evening
A couple of days ago I was taking part of a theatrical play and as part of it someone poured some water in my eyes (they were closed though but there was enough water to fill them). As it was kind of an improvisation, I did not know what did he pour it with and later on I learnt that he used bottled water that someone else had been drinking and flower petals as a vessel. I could not wash my face until about 3 hours later. I want to know if I’m at any risk of getting infected of something. What would be the worst case scenario? I don’t know about the health status of the person who drank that water. And if the flowers were purchased in the nearby store, I have seen the salesman there sprinkling them with his own mouth (drinking a full-mouth of water and then using it as a hose). So I am very nervous about getting some infection that could have passed through the eye mucous.
Is it too paranoic to think about infections like hepatitis, herpes or something worse?
Thanks a lot for your time!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

The risk of any infection like HIV or any other STD is very low.

Dr. D.J. :

In fact it is rare to get any disease in this manner.

Dr. D.J. :

The reasons are as follows:

Dr. D.J. :

1. You do not have any open wound in your eyes.

Dr. D.J. :

2. The amount of saliva in the a bottle of water is very low --gets diluted with the amount of water--hence any virus will be very low in quantity not enough to infect someone.

Dr. D.J. :

3. The virus gets inactivated outside the body within few minutes --so it is unlikely you will get any infection in this manner.

Dr. D.J. :

No further testing or treatment is recommended from this incident.

Dr. D.J. :

Since you are healthy, your immune system is strong enough to fight off any low amount of germs even if present in the water.

Customer:

Hi, Dr!

Dr. D.J. :

Do not worry.

Dr. D.J. :

Please read my replies above.

Customer:

Thanks a lot for your answer =)
However, correct me if I'm wrong: I've read about some viruses that can live even weeks outside the body

Customer:

So those are the ones that concern me =(

Dr. D.J. :

no --HIV or hepatitis C virus do not live that long.

Dr. D.J. :

And the amount of virus in saliva is very low not enough to infect with bottled water

Customer:

ok, I see. So no need to worry about any other kind? not necessarily STDs...

Dr. D.J. :

not at all.

Customer:

=) thanks. I hate even drinking some else's water so imagine my concern with someone else's saliva in my eyes!! =S. I just want to be 200% sure that I need not worry

Dr. D.J. :

Yes I understand your concern fully.

Dr. D.J. :

No you can be absolutely sure --no harm done

Customer:

and just the last thing to cover everything...about these flowers which I really hate to buy in that particular place. Even if that was the case with the one used here, your answer would be the same?

Dr. D.J. :

Yes correct

Customer:

=) thanks again! I hate to be this paranoic but I also hate to stay with doubts

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent (click on the smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

thanks, Dr.!! I surely will!! sorry sorry but just one more question that popped up now.....as a general rule you can consider that eye mucouses are indeed protective unless they have a cut or something?

Dr. D.J. :

Yes correct --they are also protective

Customer:

=) ok then! thanks for your time and consideration. Have a good night

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome