Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have dry broken skin on my hands, could I pick up an infection

I have dry broken skin on my hands, could I pick up an infection such as HIV if I touched something right after someone who has the infection? The item in question was black so I could not see if it had blood or anything on it but there is a possibility. Could I pick up the infection this way?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

No you would not get HIV if you touched someone who has the infection.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is no possibility of getting the infection this way.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He could have touched the item, if there was a possibility he had blood or something on his hands and then I touched the item a few moments later and being that I have dry, cracked, broken skin on my hands could I get the infection?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
HIV virus is very fragile and cannot survive outside the body for more than few minutes. So you could not have gotten the virus in this way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was not long after, only a moment or so. The item in question was the front of a tall fridge that I touched after him and I do have dry skin on my hands and a few cuts. I don't know but if he had blood on his hand would it transfer it to me? Or would the blood need to be enough to be visible in order to transmit?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
It cannot be transmitted in the way that you mention.
Not possible even if there is blood on his hands or body when you touched him.
The HIV virus dies almost instantly when exposed to air.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did not touch him I touched the fridge door a minute or so after him. If he had blood on his hand and it was on the fridge door and I have broken skin on my hands would that be enough to transmit it?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I would appreciate it if you could give me one positive rating before we can continue. Its only when you rate me that I am paid on this site.
I hope you understand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

• I have done that now could you answer this? I did not touch him I touched the fridge door a minute or so after him. If he had blood on his hand and it was on the fridge door and I have broken skin on my hands would that be enough to transmit it?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I have not received any positive rating.
Can you please try again and click on either 'good services' or 'excellent services'.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done it again, to your reply. Could you answer my question now?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
First of all if he had blood on his hand and if you touched the fridge after that you would have seen the blood.
Even if there was blood on the fridge its not possible for HIV to be transmitted in this way because the HIV virus dies almost spontaneously when its exposed to the environment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The fridge was black so I would not have seen the blood. Would I of had visible blood on my hand in order to transmit it? Or could a tiny bit of blood transmit it? I did not see any blood on my hand and how long does it take to die once out if the body?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
The fridge was black so I would not have seen the blood. Would I of had visible blood on my hand in order to transmit it?

Yes visible blood is required.

Could a tiny bit of blood transmit it?
No

I did not see any blood on my hand and how long does it take to die once out if the body?
As soon as blood dries out the virus dies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Blood does not dry in a moment though does it? I thought you said that hiv dies almost spontaneously?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
A small amount of blood that you could not see would clot almost instantly would probably take a minute or so which is pretty spontaneous.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And hiv dies almost straight away when the air touches it?

If I did get blood on my hand it would need to be a visible amount to infect me through my dry broken skin?

I am just worried as I do have the dry broken skin on my hands and if I did contract it I would be worried others would be infected because of he sores on my hands.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Yes

Yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for continuing to reply.

So you do not think there is a risk I could have the infection from this? Even with the dry broken skin on my hands?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
No there is no risk at all whatsoever.

You are just thinking about it too much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know I am, but my hands are very sore and dry and I would be worried about transmitting it to others, such as my children if I did contract it.

Would the blood have to come straight from one persons open wound to another wound to be transmitted this way?

Also would dry skin be a possible route to contract it?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
For me to continue helping you out here you would have to rate me for my services again by either clicking on 'good services' or 'excellent services'.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get that rating and can you continue by answering my last reply?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I understand that your hands are sore but there is no risk of getting HIV or transmitting it to your children.

Yes, blood from wound to another wound which is an open wound is what is required for transmission but even in that case transmission rate is low i.e. less than 1% in wound to wound transmission.

No, it has to be a wet bleeding wound.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I don't even need the prevention drug?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Nope
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a lot Doctor, I realise I'm overly worrying but I wanted to be sure of my risk.

You mind if I ask you, is it safe to use Sudocrem on my hands? Would it cause damage if it got into eyes accidentally? I have rubbed it in as the instructions said to, but I can still smell it on my hands.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
is it safe to use Sudocrem on my hands?
Yes

Would it cause damage if it got into eyes accidentally?
Yes it can but as soon as that happens just wash your eyes with plenty of water.

Smell coming from hands is normal with sudocrem.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
How are you feeling now?
Do let me know.