Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My husband years, had an inguinal hernia (right open surgery)

Customer Question

My husband 69 years, had an inguinal hernia (right open surgery) operation on Wednesday 12 noon. The operation went well according to the doctors. He was released on Thursday morning. He has no problems but when I bathed him now and changed his dressing I realised that the foreskin of his penis and the tip of the penis were bruised (dark to medium blue). He is not complaining of pain in the penis... but I just want to check whether this is normal. He suffers from Type II diabetes (which is very controlled) and usually bruises very badly.
As we live on a remote Island of the coast of Ireland, I was wondering if you could please assist me with advice. Thank you. Jenni from Ireland (married 40 years)
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

he most likely had a foley catheter into his penis into his bladder during the surgery.

Dr. David :

this foley catheter was to drain urine during the surgery and most likely the catheter bruised the foreskin and tip of the penis.

Dr. David :

you can use cold compresses on the area and eventually the bruise should get better with time.

Customer:

Thank you so much Dr David.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again. I will monitor his progress and get back to if I am worried. Kind regards, Jenni

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
thank you for the positive feedback and bonus

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

is my website if you need to reach me again

thanks for using JustAnswer.com