Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Substance abuse

Customer Question

Substance abuse
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
What is your question about substance abuse?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am abusing alcohol and coacaine

What is your question about the abuse of alcohol and cocaine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm suffering from incest abuse

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot commit to relationship due to childhood incest

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert taking time to reply
I am still waiting for you to tell me what question you are asking?

I had asked for clarification of what question you are asking and have not heard back. There are many potential issues that may arise in the management of substance abuse, so it is difficult to know what information you are seeking without specifying what question you are asking. However, some general comments can be made.

It is clear that anyone with substance abuse should quit using the substances (alcohol and cocaine in your case). There are a number of programs that can be used for this, and it is largely dependent upon the individual which program would be better. AA is the most commonly used support group, but you may need to discuss with your primary care physician what other resources are available in your community.

However, in someone with substance abuse that is also associated with a history if incest abuse, it is also likely that individual counselling may be necessary. Your primary care physician can also refer you to resources in your community for individual counselling.

If you are asking a question that is not addressed by the general comments, please let me know.