Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My son has recently had pains in his lower abdomen from a knock

My son has recently had pains in his lower abdomen from a knock at football so we took him to the GP where he routinely found that one of his testicles was in his groin. When he was 2 we gave permission for a bilateral orichopexy but we have since discovered for what ever reason they only did the operation on his left side. My son is now 7 and I want to know if there are implications could it increase the risk of infertility, testicular cancer, growth (even though he is the oldest in his class he is one of the shortest).

My son also had an operation when he was 3 to correct reflux of the kidneys he had grade 5 reflux on both sides which has caused kidney damage. Are either of these 2 things linked as it must be rare to have grade 5 reflux on both sides as well as bilateral undescended testes.

Any information on this would be much appreciated as I am very concerned with my son's health
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Customer:

Ok thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

please wait a moment as I read your post carefully.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Customer:

OK

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I want to know if there are implications could it increase the risk of infertility, testicular cancer, growth?
There is definitely more risk of testicular cancer, infertility. Growth is usually not affected.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It will most likely require surgery to either remove the testes or if the testis is functioning then they would need to do orchidopexy on this testis as well

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

yes I am just very disappointed that they did not operate on both when we gave them permission to so when he was 18 mths old

Customer:

Is there a link between reflux and undescended testes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

NO

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is no link between reflux and undescended testes.

Customer:

Ok I was doing my own research and there is mention of some syndromes that have the link between the 2. I can't believe it is just extremely bad luck that my son had both

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is UNLIKELY to be a link between the two.

Customer:

Ok thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)