Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 58years, of slight stature weighing 48 kgs and 5ft 2

Customer Question

I am 58years, of slight stature weighing 48 kgs and 5ft 2 inches in height. About 6 weeks ago I started running doing about 20 mins a day. I immediately noticed a pulling sensation down my right buttock bit choose to ignore this and carried on with my running for a further 3 weeks when I had to stop as my hip and shoulder girdles were both becoming very uncomfortable with morning stiffness that gradually improved through the day, I began to take ibruprofen 400mgs once daily which helped with the morning stiffness. The way I was running was indoors, on the spot, on a wooden floor with no give in it (concrete underlay) rather than outside. Now both my buttocks feel like they have been kicked hard and it’s only comfortable to sit on a cushion, the outer aspects of my hip joints feel very tight when standing and both groin areas feel like pieces of elastic which have been pulled really tight. Yesterday I was cutting down a hedge using long handled cutters and last night my shoulders were really stiff and kpainful, today they are much better.

Apart from that I’m fine, have no loss of appetite, sleep well and have been trying to keep mobile through walking 1 mile a day (usually I do 3-5 miles) whilst wearing supportive trainers, I am also receiving physiotherapy weekly (the physio agrees with the Dr’s diagnosis)and do pilates weekly. I have been to see my family doctor who thinks that I may have damaged my psoas and periformas muscles, I have bloods taken to rule out I hope anything more serious such as polymyalgia rheumatic and vitamin D deficiency as well as the usual FBC’s and U&E’s and should get the results this week.

Have you any ideas what this problem is? – I am hoping it’s just a musculoskeletal injury which I will need to give time to heal and must stop doing heavy housework and gardening etc which seems to irritate the problem, can you advise on how long this may take or what the differential diagnoses might be so I can discuss with my doctor.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

yes, I agree you need to be doing more stretching before and after exercise.

Dr. David :

that is good you are exercising.

Dr. David :

this will strengthen muscles

Dr. David :

but stronger muscles often mean tighter muscles.

Dr. David :

I am glad you are starting physical therapy.

Dr. David :

you can ask about specific gluteal stretching and hip flexor stretches you should be doing before and after running.

Dr. David :

this will help with flexibility and help stretch those stronger and tighter muscles.

Dr. David :

are you running in place indoors or using a tredmill?

Customer:

I was running in place but have stopped on advice from the physio

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

I would stretch your glutteal muscles and hamstring muscles.

Dr. David :

and use other exercises to help strengthen your legs.

Dr. David :

and other exercises for cardio.

Dr. David :

if you stretch before and after, you might be able to continue to run or do jumping jacks for exercise

Dr. David :

wear good athletic shoes as well.

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Dr. David :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qby3ZsiidMY

Dr. David :

here are some good stretches

Customer:

I wear good shoes and will discuss your suggestions with the physio, from the history I have given do you think it could be any more alarming that a muscoloskeltal injury?

Dr. David :

no,

Dr. David :

I dont' think it is more serious

Dr. David :

the timing and description sounds like you have pulled tight muscles or nerves in your lower back and gluteal area.

Dr. David :

do the stretching your PT has recommended

Dr. David :

or look online for some good gluteal and hamstring stretches.

Dr. David :

stretch daily even if you don't exercise.

Dr. David :

pilates is very good with stretching.

Dr. David :

and I bet your symptoms will get better.

Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Customer:

OK thank you for your help and advice

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/